It goes like this:
- I edit and save a plist. It almost doesn't matter which editor I use. I've tried Apple's Property List Editor, Plist Edit Pro and even Text Edit. Each of them triggers the problem. (The problem is not triggered by PageSpinner, another editor I have on my HD. I don't know why not.
- Next time I try to open this plist with any editor, I get a finder error message in two alert boxes. The first one says "application not found", the second one says "unable to finish the task, unknown error (-43)". The plist is apparently corrupted and doesn't open again.
- I try to move the broken plist to the trash. The finder reacts with another error box, saying "unable to finish task, because at least one needed object couldn't be found (error -43)".
- I click on the error box, making it disappear.
- From then on the plist is alright again, I can open, edit, or delete it.
I am totally puzzled. Something like this has never happened before. I have shut down and restarted the computer a couple of times, hoping that it would sort itself out. It didn't. Only plists are affected, as far as I can tell.
Any thoughts on what could be the culprit are highly appreciated. As you can imagine, it has become really annoying to edit shipdata or AIs.
(MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core i5, OS 10.6.