Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wear and tear strain
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:18 am 
Competent
Competent

Hi all

I've fitted the Witchdrive injectors and now am far happier as I can blast away from "j" drive tailgaters. However (and this could be psychosomatic) it does seem to increase hull degradation?

I'm in the early stages of a new game (still money piling around Leesti/Diso) and cannot find a repair facility - can anyone help with the names of a few G1 stations that give thios facility on F3?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wear and tear strain
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:27 am 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Main stations will offer a maintenance service in the Equip Ship screen once your hull has degraded enough. You don't need to look for any special repair facility.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:32 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)
Quote:
hull degradation?
I think you mean serviceLevel. This is not affected by Injectors but hyperjumps to another system and received hits without shields in combat.

Maintenance overhaul will be offered in the equipment shop in any system with at least techlevel 7 when your ship reach an enough wrong state.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:41 am 
Competent
Competent

Ah, so I can't call it up and must just wait until it's offered? Thank you! I'll stop looking and enjoy flying now. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:22 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
Quote:
hull degradation?
I think you mean serviceLevel. This is not affected by Injectors but hyperjumps to another system and received hits without shields in combat.
One thing I always wondered about this, does the game engine care if the Witchspace jump is generated by your own ship versus bumming a lift on some NPC's wormhole? Does the service level drop just from passing through Witchspace? Can you extend the shelf life of your vessel by hitch-hiking?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:10 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
Ah, so I can't call it up and must just wait until it's offered? Thank you! I'll stop looking and enjoy flying now. :D
When it IS offered, before taking them up on the offer, check to see what's the highest Tech-Level system in the region, and get it done there, if practical to do so. The higher the TL your servicing is done at, the better the job they do, and the longer it will be before it needs doing again. A high TL service immediately before trading your ship in for another will ensure you get the maximum possible trade-in value for your old ship, too.

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:15 am 
Competent
Competent

Quote:
Quote:
When it IS offered, before taking them up on the offer, check to see what's the highest Tech-Level system in the region, and get it done there, if practical to do so. The higher the TL your servicing is done at, the better the job they do, and the longer it will be before it needs doing again. A high TL service immediately before trading your ship in for another will ensure you get the maximum possible trade-in value for your old ship, too.

That's brilliant advice, thank you!