The thing I like most about community-driven projects is that the resources for testing new project features are virtually endless and correspond to the size of the communities themselves. Therefore, I'd like to take this opportunity and request from the Windows user base of Oolite to become testers (see disclaimer though) for what will hopefully be the next generation of Oolite for Windows: the long-awaited native 64-bit version of the game.
The link to the tentative 64-bit Windows port of Oolite is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwG6R5 ... sp=sharing
. It corresponds to the 1.77.1 version of the game. To use it, just drop oolite_x64.app inside the root folder of your 1.77.1 installation, at the same folder level as the standard 32-bit oolite.app. Then run any of the included executables. There are versions for both Deployment and Test Release builds inside oolite_x64.app.
What you should know about this build:
There are absolutely no guarantees of good functionality on this one. If you are afraid that it may fry your PC, do not use it.
- In case you do decide to use it, be aware that it is not officially supported for gameplay. If it runs well for you, feel free to continue running it and I urge you to report any problem you discover about it; but do not expect immediate responses and solutions to any of the issues that might be reported. Remember, this version of the game is fully experimental and is published for testing purposes only
- There is a known issue of occasional crashes on exit. Additionally, your stderr.txt will most likely always contain this line at the end of execution:
WARNING thread 0000000000000000 terminated without calling +exit!
You do not need to report this one, but please DO report if you do NOT get the above message in stderr.txt when you exit the game. We are currently troubleshooting and attempting to fix the issue.
- This is now fixed. Download link updated.
- This build is optimized for SSE2. If your computer is 64-bit capable, then it is probably safe to assume that it supports the SSE2 instruction set as well.
- The entire package, i.e. the Oolite executable itself, as well as all of the supporting shared libraries, have been re-compiled from scratch for 64-bit processors. Dependency Walker reports it as a full 64-bit binary. Same goes for Windows Task Manager. There should be no 32-bit dependencies left whatsoever.
- If you have found an issue you would like to report, please include in your report the version of Windows you are running, plus system memory, processor and GPU information. If you would like to just report that it works fine for you, I kindly ask that you include the same information regardless. So far, we know that this package works well (apart from the aforementioned occasional crash upon exit) on Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise, Intel M640 Corei7 @ 2.80GHz, with 4GB of memory and an Intel HD Graphics system, which is the system I am running it on.
Thank you all in advance for helping out in the development of the game and looking forward to your reports, hopefully of good functionality
Edit 15 Oct 2013: Updated package to version 0.2, containing the correct version of gnustep-base-1_20.dll, which fixes the thread crash on exit.
Edit: 29 Oct 2013: Updated package to version 0.3, containing a full rebuild of the game, this time using an exception model that hopefully does not crash.