Vintage Computing Festival UK

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Post Reply
User avatar
winston
Pirate
Pirate
Posts: 731
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:21 pm
Location: Port St. Mary, Isle of Man
Contact:

Vintage Computing Festival UK

Post by winston » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Just to let you all know...

The UK's first Vintage Computing Festival will be at Bletchley Park this year. It takes place on the 19th/20th June.

Highlights include:
* Talk by Sophie Wilson, one of the original designers of the BBC Micro and the ARM CPU (the ARM CPU is the world's most popular CPU, having Sophie Wilson give a talk is more significant than if the head CPU designer of Intel showed up).
* Talk by Chris Smith, who has reverse engineered the Spectrum ULA (and the Ferranti ULA technology in general)
* Amiga anniversary
* Acorn World, more Beebs than you can shake a stick at, if Retro Reunited in Huddersfield last year was anything to go by.
* Of course, it's *Bletchley Park* too, the home of the Colossus
* And of course, I'll be exhibiting the Spectranet there (an ethernet card for the Spectrum, so even 8 bits get online).

http://www.tnmoc.org/vcf-gb.aspx for more details.

User avatar
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
Contact:

Post by JazHaz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Funnily enough, I have been invited by friends to go to this event. Not sure I will though, need to get a job first.

I'm involved in retro computing, have an interest in Atari 16/32bit computers. Still have an Atari Falcon030 (vintage 1993) 32bit computer here at home! Plus am involved with the Cheshunt Computer Club, which still has committed Atari supporting members.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Post by DaddyHoggy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 pm

JazHaz wrote:Funnily enough, I have been invited by friends to go to this event. Not sure I will though, need to get a job first.

I'm involved in retro computing, have an interest in Atari 16/32bit computers. Still have an Atari Falcon030 (vintage 1993) 32bit computer here at home! Plus am involved with the Cheshunt Computer Club, which still has committed Atari supporting members.
<Clicks fingers>I still own an original fake wood finished Atari 2600, 2x C64s (one original tan breadbin + 1541 Floppy, the other Amiga-like remodel + Evesham Micros Excellerator+ floppy drive), 3x Commodore Amiga A500s (#1 Original c. 1989 with 1/2 meg upgrade, #2 Original c. 1990 with A590 20MB HD and 2MB expansion, #3 A500+, Modified/upgraded to have Fatter Agnus and internal soldered 2MB upgrade - bit flaky - but it fired up OK last time I slipped it out of its box...)

As you can see - Commodore man through and through - and I still regret flogging my A2500 (I had aspirations to recreate B5 on my own, using Raylab - while I saved up for a video toaster - but post-uni debts and a poorly car put an end to that)
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Micha
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Post by Micha » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Looks interesting... might have to see if I can make it.

Thanks for the info.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

User avatar
winston
Pirate
Pirate
Posts: 731
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:21 pm
Location: Port St. Mary, Isle of Man
Contact:

Post by winston » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Funnily enough - talking of Commodore, I was in Sheffield a week and a half ago (for Retro Reunited at Sheffield Hallam Uni students union) and picked up my first ever Commodore - an Amiga 1200. I was never interested in the C64, but I always wanted (but never got) an Amiga.

If you want to see what retro project I'm working on now, you just have to look here ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooi9rpx6ECM

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Post by DaddyHoggy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:58 pm

winston wrote:Funnily enough - talking of Commodore, I was in Sheffield a week and a half ago (for Retro Reunited at Sheffield Hallam Uni students union) and picked up my first ever Commodore - an Amiga 1200. I was never interested in the C64, but I always wanted (but never got) an Amiga.

If you want to see what retro project I'm working on now, you just have to look here ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooi9rpx6ECM
Ah the A1200, lots of incompatibilities with the A500 stuff, but we all wanted one just the same.

I have watched your Youtube video - Winston - you're a genius, a crackpot loon, but a genius and I love it - I've posted it on FB because more people need to see it!
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2043
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:38 pm

Post by Killer Wolf » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:31 am

i've still got an a500 + half-meg and an A1200 up in the loft, boxed, and a bag full of games. Elite, Alien Breed, Dune 2, Thunderhawk...ah, the memories.

Post Reply