Flying Cars! Just in time!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

User avatar
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:14 am
Location: Tionisla
Contact:

Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Selezen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:57 pm

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ ... ble-drone/

Flying cars are finally here! And they were dreamed up in the UK!

User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Disunited Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Smivs » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:36 pm

I wan't one!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.

User avatar
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:07 am
Location: Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Wildeblood » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Smivs wrote:I wan't one!
http://www.e-volo.com/ongoing-developement/vc-200

That fellow in the video is a bit behind the times.

User avatar
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:09 am
Location: DownUnder (W Aus)

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by SteveKing » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:40 pm

But which is the more impressive? The one with the budget, or the one on a budget?

Either way they are both impressive in that they are battery powered creations that fly people!
SteveKing
(not quite the author)

User avatar
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:07 am
Location: Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Wildeblood » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:38 am

SteveKing wrote:But which is the more impressive? The one with the budget, or the one on a budget?

Either way they are both impressive in that they are battery powered creations that fly people!
You're asking us to chose between German engineering and English eccentricity? As one of the comments under the video says, the backyarder's machine does not rise higher than the ground effect zone.

What all multicopters are good as is a demonstration that a result can be obtained by a large number of small engines as an alternative to one big engine. Now imagine what can be done by a large number of big engines. :D

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Diziet Sma » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:26 am

Wildeblood wrote:Now imagine what can be done by a large number of big engines. :D
Ah, the KSP motto in action.. "Moar boosters!" :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

jtarheel42
Average
Average
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:14 am

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by jtarheel42 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:01 pm

All I can envision with flying cars is what I see now on the roadsides, trash, garbage, dirty diapers which could all be landing your roof, yard, or pool!

User avatar
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Brisbane,Australia

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by spud42 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 am

Just imagine, Its 2:30PM on a school day. time to go pick up the kids from school.

100+ mothers flying in to pick up little Johnny and Mary........

ooohhhh the carnage!!!!!!!!!!
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
42

User avatar
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:07 am
Location: Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Wildeblood » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:53 pm

spud42 wrote:Just imagine, Its 2:30PM on a school day. time to go pick up the kids from school.

100+ mothers flying in to pick up little Johnny and Mary........

ooohhhh the carnage!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't be worse than here, where the mothers all pile into huge Landcruisers to pick up their little darlings from 400m down the road.

Johnny? Mary? You mean Zachary and Shakira, don' you? :evil:

User avatar
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 pm
Location: Oz. The land of some gold but mostly rust

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Alex » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:23 am

Wildeblood wrote:
spud42 wrote:Just imagine, Its 2:30PM on a school day. time to go pick up the kids from school.

100+ mothers flying in to pick up little Johnny and Mary........

ooohhhh the carnage!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't be worse than here, where the mothers all pile into huge Landcruisers to pick up their little darlings from 400m down the road.

Johnny? Mary? You mean Zachary and Shakira, don' you? :evil:
Ye what's with the landcruisers? What happened to give the little ba.. darlings a bicycle?
To much like common sense?
Kid would get exercise and learn a bit about road rules for future driving.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Diziet Sma » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:02 am

spud42 wrote:Just imagine, Its 2:30PM on a school day. time to go pick up the kids from school.

100+ mothers flying in to pick up little Johnny and Mary........

ooohhhh the carnage!!!!!!!!!!
Warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it? :twisted:

Ahh, we can only dream..
Alex wrote:Ye what's with the landcruisers?
That's very simple.. 4WDs, SUVs, whatever you want to call them, the chunkier body and higher ride give drivers an exaggerated, albeit illusionary, sense of safety. They feel safer to drive. And since the primary female motivator is security.. well, it attracts them like flies to sh.. err, honey.
Alex wrote:What happened to give the little ba.. darlings a bicycle?
To much like common sense?
Kid would get exercise and learn a bit about road rules for future driving.
Can't have that.. the modern idea is to protect, cocoon, and mollycoddle the little creatures from all potential harm and ouchies. In time, this will create a society of gutless wimps and cowards, our males will all be emasculated, and fourth-wave feminism will have triumphed.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

User avatar
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:14 am
Location: Tionisla
Contact:

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Selezen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:34 am

Alex wrote:Ye what's with the landcruisers? What happened to give the little ba.. darlings a bicycle?
To much like common sense?
Kid would get exercise and learn a bit about road rules for future driving.
Quite a lot of schools actually don't allow kids to come to school on bikes. There's a road safety issue for a start, especially for the younger kids.

By the time the kids are old enough to be safe on a bike on the roads, they're usually old enough to walk to school.

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Diziet Sma » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Selezen wrote:By the time the kids are old enough to be safe on a bike on the roads, they're usually old enough to walk to school.
On the other hand, by the time they're old enough for that, they're smart enough to prefer riding to walking.. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

User avatar
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Brisbane,Australia

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by spud42 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Diziet Sma wrote:Can't have that.. the modern idea is to protect, cocoon, and mollycoddle the little creatures from all potential harm and ouchies. In time, this will create a society of gutless wimps and cowards, our males will all be emasculated, and fourth-wave feminism will have triumphed.
this is the reason this generation is labeled the ME generation....

give ME
drive ME
feed ME

still living at home into the mid 20's and beyond. no ambition ,no reason to. Mummy and Daddy have enabled this attitude from birth......

me? i couldnt wait till i could afford to get my own place and move out of home!!!!
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
42

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13616
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Flying Cars! Just in time!

Post by Cody » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:56 pm

spud42 wrote:... i couldnt wait till i could afford to get my own place and move out of home!!!!
I had no choice - but I'd have flown the nest soon enough even if I had!

Post Reply