When one is about to be able to buy a new ship, there are various things to consider:
- Finding a station that has the ship you want, preferably without "useless" equipment (hyperdrives, docking computers).
- Finding a station that is near high-tech systems, so one can buy again high-tech equipment.
- Consider the resell price of your current ship and its service level.
While the first two points can make the process of buying a new ship interesting, the last point is too me only problematic.
IIRC, the resell value of a ship is 70% of its base value. For a Cobra I it means that one loses 30K Cr when one buys a new ship. That's huge
. And while one is looking for the new ship one wants the service level may decrease, which results in extra money loss (a few KCr).
As a result, it's more economical to wait longer and "upgrade" a Cobra I to a Cobra III rather than going from Cobra I to Moray, and then from Moray to Cobra III.
So my suggestions are:
- Automatically include maintenance overhaul when selling a ship.
- Be a lot more gentle with the resell value (like 90% of base value).