Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:39 pm 
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Quote:
I could add a option.
Which reminds me...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:56 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'd suggest to create a configuration screen dedicated to OXPs that can be reached in-flight.
Svengali's latest BGS kinda offers that - not in-flight, but when docked. Whether other OXPs will use it is the question.
It's Lib_Config.js in Library and, unlike the old OXPConfig, the script can be used in-flight. It would at least help to declutter the equipment list, so if there's real interest I could add a option.
That's good news!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:38 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

I still think a general-purpose, fully programmable in-flight keymap feature solves everybody's problems. And gives everybody full customization. Maximum benefit!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:29 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
I still think a general-purpose, fully programmable in-flight keymap feature solves everybody's problems. And gives everybody full customization. Maximum benefit!
I've done "keyboard remapping" a long time ago in another project. I can say it can be tedious to code. But I know where you're coming from though, I'm using an AZERTY keyboard myself.

However there's this utility: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Keyconfig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:33 am 
Deadly
Deadly

Quote:
Quote:
I've done "keyboard remapping" a long time ago in another project. I can say it can be tedious to code. But I know where you're coming from though, I'm using an AZERTY keyboard myself.

However there's this utility: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Keyconfig
It basically just involves looking up the keypress in a dictionary where the keypress is the dict-key and the command is the resulting dict-value. Then it's a matter of coming up with UI screens that allow one to view and edit these values. The external keymap rewriter is handy, but we additionally need to add the notion of general prime-equipment<equipID>, set-mode-equipment<equipID>, activate-equipment<equipID> commands. And it should be internal to the core so it doesn't bit-rot with new releases.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:04 pm 
Above Average
Above Average

What about a tree-menu type system, like they use for chats in a lot of FPS games? Z, X, C, and V are free keys. For example, you could type Z,Z,Z, and then V to confirm and perform one operation, and then press Z,X,X and V to perform another. Maybe you could type 1-2 characters of a command and press v while incomplete to clear it. That gives you 27 different commands, all accessible in the same amount of time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:58 am 
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

--- .-.
.--- ..- ... -
..- ... .
-- --- .-. ... .
-.-. --- --. .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:58 am 
Commodore
Commodore

That's a good idea - if we use morse then we'll never run out of keys. We'd just have to learn the morse for things like "shoot", "jink left" and "target incoming missile. No, not that one, the other one."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:30 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I confess to being a tad disappointed to return after a year's absence, to find that Oolite still doesn't have in-game key configuration. :(

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied