Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55
 Post subject: Re: Scripting requests
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:49 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Could we get an option to set light position and color in mission.runScreen? Maybe even with the possibility to change it on-the-fly? I'm aware that we can pass them to the shader, but writable properties which can be bound are rare.

Edit:Updated pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I want to set materials for a ship using a ship script. Currently I can easily do that in shipSpawned event. That however, does not work when the ship is being displayed on mission screen.

Ideally I would like to have an ship script event shipDisplayed with a suitable handle to the ship model, that would trigger when a ship is being shown.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:51 am 
Competent
Competent

- be able to provide a destination for data to reduce garbage generation

1) calls to filteredEntities or entitiesWithScanClass return arrays, thus generate garbage
- if I could supply an array as a parameter for the result, there'd be no garbage to be collected
(ok, that's a bad solution, how about a separate method?)

[Aside: I replaced a single call to filteredEntities with 11 to entitiesWithScanClass, as that was much faster. But the former creates 3.43 x's as much garbage! filteredEntities must be creating JS objects rather than core ones, no?}

2) during frame callbacks, I often refer to .position & .orientation data, which genereate garbage
- if I could provide a Vector3D object (or better still, an array) for the data to be copied to, no garbage is created

Also, are there any pre-determined garbage collection calls? I'm recycling arrays to reduce how many I create and if I know when a pre-determined GC will occur, I can purge some if my pool gets too big. I currently do purge much in shipWillDockWithStation & shipWillEnterWitchspace on the assumption GC may happen but knowing actually when/if might be helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 am 
Competent
Competent

I'd like programatic access to the data logged by console.writeJSMemoryStats():
JS heap, limit, # collections to date
- really only need the 1st but with fine resolution (not MiB)
- it could be used to monitor rate of production, isolate which areas are responsible

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:07 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
Also, are there any pre-determined garbage collection calls? I'm recycling arrays to reduce how many I create and if I know when a pre-determined GC will occur, I can purge some if my pool gets too big. I currently do purge much in shipWillDockWithStation & shipWillEnterWitchspace on the assumption GC may happen but knowing actually when/if might be helpful.
http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p259439

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 pm 
Competent
Competent

D'oh! Perfectly demonstrates the value of a wiki over BB. I must've scrolled past that a number of times, it's so small. Such a declarative and authoritative statement
should be writ large,
don't you think? :D

Anyway, it doesn't appear to matter if you use
  • shipWillDockWithStation or shipDockedWithStation
  • shipWillExitWitchspace or shipExitedWitchspace,
as they're invoked on consecutive lines in the code. The is no shipEnteredWitchspace, so all that remains is
  • shipWillLaunchFromStation or shipLaunchedFromStation
which would only concern station based oxp's (and really, how much garbage can they generate!)

Unless you can think of a problem, I suggest the wiki advise purges/freeing be done in the 'Will' events, to keep is simple & consistent.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55