Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:49 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Vortex cargo bay is not compatible with Oolite 1.82 because of changes to the way cargo goods are defined. Unless Thargoid or someone else updates the script in this OXP, it's not going to work with 1.82.

I'd also suggest completely removing that part of the script, and just defining the shipdata to have a larger cargo bay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:33 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Moreover, the Vortex also introduces problems when scooping cargo, and that even if it only is installed instead of flown:
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=243594#p243594

I support the idea to replace the cargo bay system by a normal cargo capacity, because it's what causes by far the least work. As this makes the Vortex more powerful (ability to accept cargo contracts ?) and less annoying (no need to switch), reduce it to something like 100TC ?

Also, can someone who has flown the Vortex and not just attempted to understand its code like me answer me a question: Are the missile bays actually switchable in flight like the documentation says, or do they rather just add a queue of filled pylons on top of the main pylons such as the APRIL reloader does (which is said to inherit the Vortex' code) ? For instance, say one bay contains only Q-bombs, and another one contains only ECM hardened missiles. Does it allow to switch to the one with missiles, and after firing back to the bombs ?

I'd also like to point out that the missile defence screen will not work against some types of "missiles" which are more dangerous than the 2 types in the core (basic and ECM hardened missile) - notably the thargoid Kamikaze Orbiters from TCAT, since oolite does not consider those "missiles" (via entity.isMissile). If oolite's behavior of entity.isMissile has changed, this may not be intended.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:25 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
Also, can someone who has flown the Vortex and not just attempted to understand its code like me answer me a question: Are the missile bays actually switchable in flight like the documentation says, or do they rather just add a queue of filled pylons on top of the main pylons such as the APRIL reloader does (which is said to inherit the Vortex' code) ? For instance, say one bay contains only Q-bombs, and another one contains only ECM hardened missiles. Does it allow to switch to the one with missiles, and after firing back to the bombs ?
Yes the multi-bay missiles work as advertised. You can have one bay with non-weapon survey probes, one bay with Q-bombs, and the other bays with actual missiles, which you keep as the active bay unless you specifically want to use a variant. Then you don't accidentally fire a useless missile in a fight.

I was going to suggest a 100t normal cargo bay for the Vortex, but now seeing you write it too it seems too obvious. I'm going to suggest 97t just to irritate the neatness freaks who think all numbers are multiples of ten. 97 is a prime I'm guessing...

Just checked, it is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:39 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hmmmmm... as a vortex fanatic, I find that 1.82 breaks the cycling of the missiles and cargo bays. :(
Guess I won't be upgrading for a while... too bad.... back to the void unless something new comes along.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:47 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
Hmmmmm... as a vortex fanatic, I find that 1.82 breaks the cycling of the missiles and cargo bays. :(
Any idea why, how? Has there been some change to the missile array in Oolite 1.82? Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:05 am 
Commodore
Commodore

Location: [p]laying [h]ard and [k]icking [b]utt somewhere in G7...
Quote:
Any idea why, how? Has there been some change to the missile array in Oolite 1.82? Anyone?
These issues might be to blame:
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30#p232177
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17847

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:37 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

22/02/2018 - Version 1.31, various script tweaks for oolite 1.82.
- Added "use strict" in the some scripts.
- Edited name of the cargo type for new spelling.
- Changed low energy limit for emergency displacement activating (from 33 to 64(Vortex) and to 128(Maelstrom)) due to small effect of previous displacement with high amount equipment damage.

https://app.box.com/s/tlav7anpe3ggahyqr9a16ln0xzoshamf