For a while now, I've been working on rewriting my one and only OXP, and documenting the development process as I go.
You can find the document here. It's a LibreOffice Writer file so it should be readable on whatever OS you are using.
The intent of this is to provide a step-by-step guide for developing OXPs that modify the mechanics of Oolite (I'll leave ship building and graphics-centric OXPs to those that are in the know). I hope that any budding OXP developers out there can have a look at it and take their first tentative steps. Each section is designed to build on the work completed in previous sections.
This is a work in progress. I'm only able to devote a few hours a week to development and documentation. I'll try to put an update out every week or so (RL permitting).
Topics covered so far (these section titles will probably change as work progresses):
- Dev vs Prod installations
- Setting up a Dev environment
- Installing Notepad++
- Install 7zip
- Install Oolite to a Dev location
- 'Welcome Mat' OXP deconstruction
- Implementation of the 'Template Script.JS OXP'
- Rebuilding the 'Unsafe Systems Warning Tool OXP'
- Displaying comms messages during witchspace countdown
- First test
- Troubleshooting issues encountered
- No connection to debug console
- Underpowered ship during testing
- Creating a custom Oolite icon for Windows using GIMP