Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14

Povray Planets 2.0 should...
be crowd-source designed. 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
wait for planet shader support. 55%  55%  [ 21 ]
hosted by akamai. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
not be necessary. 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 38
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:32 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
Quote:
I believe there was a tool to fix this.
PlanetTool? Is that still available?
Yes that was it. Don't know if it is still available. Edited to add. Maybe I have this in the old archives.

http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 pm 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Planettool is still available in the Oolite repository and, in case anyone is interested, I have a Windows x86 SSE2 binary uploaded here

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:49 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Quote:
Probably an old non-cubmapped texture.
It is actually cubemapped. The version gsagostinho showed is from PP 1.1, while Cody's is from 1.0.
I'd say the cubemapping happened after some scaling, which broke the seamlessness of the texture.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:03 am 
Commodore
Commodore

Quote:
I've had success in running the padre scripts for generating my own textures as follows:
- Get the povray/perl source from the link mentioned in the post.
- get megapov 1.21.1 (http://megapov.inetart.net)
- edit share/povray/cm/cm_camera.inc, remove the commenting-out from the *second* /* .. */ block, so that it is no longer commented out (that's the block containing CubeMapCamera).
- go to share/povray, run perl script.pl, install all missing dependencies one by one (I had to install perl-digest-jhash and perl-text-csv).
- run perl script.pl ../oolite/oolite_galaxy_1.csv 1 1 from inside share/povray
takes about 5 minutes per planet for me, seems to work fine (I only ran 5 though :)

Good luck, and thanks for the great textures! Would it be possible to just replace the existing ones with higher-resolution ones? or do they have to be 256x256 per face?
Pretty late follow up to this - but let it be known that I'm easing back into povray and texture generation and discovered something quite interesting. ecraven had access to an older generation of the povray-planets rendering code when the remaining galaxies were so graciously rendered.

It seems that in addition to not including some essential turbulence maps in the code repository, the tip of trunk was in a half-and-half state where I had been experimenting with a patched version of povray3.7 as an alternative to megapov1.2.1. This means that potentially some povray planets galaxies may be missing some render features (like antialiasing/supersampling and lower distortion cube mapping) which had been working on at that time. This also explains why certain parts of the povray scene description language needed to be uncommented in order to compile to valid megapov1.2.1 SDL.

There's a lot of tidying to be done here, I feel like the patches for povray3.7 I had developed are either lost forever or gathering dust on an HP laptop under the stairs (It could be landfill by now - I haven't found it yet). IIRC they were largely to do with adding pigment warp features from megapov to the newer povray version , and to embrace newer povray camera capabilities.

I'm going to dig around some more and report back. A somewhat tidied but still not-right-yet version is now on github for the curious -
https://github.com/submersibletoaster/p ... nets-build . Dockerfile included.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14