Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

gizmo
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: aboard the "Kiss of Time"

Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by gizmo »

Fleeing pirates (from a pirate cove) either crash straight into the cove or an asteroid.

From my limited point of view it looks like a problem with performFlee.

User avatar
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by Eric Walch »

performFlee is for ships in panic. In panic you don't look were you go. :P

And more serious: There is no check for obstacles when fleeing. In my observation are crashes rare.

gizmo
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: aboard the "Kiss of Time"

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by gizmo »

Eric Walch wrote:There is no check for obstacles when fleeing.
Shouldn't that be fixed?
In my observation are crashes rare.
I wouldn't call it rare when 3 out of 10 pirates crash into the cove or an asteroid (the numbers are from my last two Oolite sessions).

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1998
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by Switeck »

This is especially bad if/when you shoot a pirate or a trader while they're in final approach to a station -- they may inject straight into the side of the Pirate Cove/station, possibly even with such violence as to destroy the Pirate Cove as well as themselves!

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by UK_Eliter »

Eric Walch wrote:performFlee is for ships in panic. In panic you don't look were you go. :P

And more serious[ly?]: There is no check for obstacles when fleeing. In my observation are crashes rare.
It might be good were Oolite to offer a 'panic-flee' mode and a less 'panic-y' flee mode.

User avatar
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by GGShinobi »

I agree that a little less stupid behaviour would be good (when approaching a station they really shouldn't engage the injectors :roll: how silly! :mrgreen: ) but at least it's funny! :lol:
Btw, I think when ships are fighting they don't check for collisions with moons, either. I once observed two ships engaged in a fight, both pilots seemed to be not very experienced as they didn't wait for their lasers to cool down and also didn't hit each other much. Well, but the moon was pretty big, they should have noticed. Both of them crashed, the second one approximately 2 seconds after the first! :shock: I thought to myself "Darn, should've shot them beforehand and collected the bounty!" :lol:
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by Diziet Sma »

I dunno.. I could think of several plausible explanations..
  • Systems damage to controls, causing the pilot to be unable to change course..
  • Injector circuitry shorted out, inadvertently causing the injectors to fire at the worst possible time..
  • Viewscreen camera destroyed, forcing pilot to run blind and pray nothing is in the way..
  • Pilot dead or unconscious..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by Diziet Sma »

GGShinobi wrote:I once observed two ships engaged in a fight, both pilots seemed to be not very experienced as they didn't wait for their lasers to cool down and also didn't hit each other much. Well, but the moon was pretty big, they should have noticed. Both of them crashed, the second one approximately 2 seconds after the first! :shock: I thought to myself "Darn, should've shot them beforehand and collected the bounty!" :lol:
Target fixation.. classic rookie pilot error in combat. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

Walbrigg
Competent
Competent
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:58 pm
Location: Beds, England

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by Walbrigg »

Pilots die at a very high rate (just count the explosions), and are replaced, so a large proportion -- probably a majority -- of pilots you see are rookies.

It shows.

User avatar
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by GGShinobi »

Diziet Sma wrote:I dunno.. I could think of several plausible explanations..
  • Systems damage to controls, causing the pilot to be unable to change course..
  • Injector circuitry shorted out, inadvertently causing the injectors to fire at the worst possible time..
  • Viewscreen camera destroyed, forcing pilot to run blind and pray nothing is in the way..
  • Pilot dead or unconscious..
Walbrigg wrote:Pilots die at a very high rate (just count the explosions), and are replaced, so a large proportion -- probably a majority -- of pilots you see are rookies.

It shows.
Alright, alright, you've convinced me. :mrgreen: And to be honest, I find the current behaviour way too funny, I think I'd miss it if they changed it! :lol:

And to be honest again, I have to admit that I also once crashed into a planet on which I wanted to land. :roll: I was so tired that I must have felt asleep for a few seconds, still pressing the injector button. :oops: When I woke up, the crash was imminent and inevitable!! I died in a blaze of glory... (only without the glory) and with me my 10 trophy kills (approx.) that I collected on this run. I took the opportunity to shut my computer down and get to sleep! :mrgreen:
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS

gizmo
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: aboard the "Kiss of Time"

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by gizmo »

Yes it is funny but at the same time a bit unrealistic.

As UK_Eliter already mentioned: two flee modes would be nice, where for example 'panic-flee' gets assigned to offenders and 'less panic-y flee' gets assigned to fugitives.

I find it odd that even fugitives with a lot of bounty on their heads act like rookies.

User avatar
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by GGShinobi »

gizmo wrote:Yes it is funny but at the same time a bit unrealistic.

As UK_Eliter already mentioned: two flee modes would be nice, where for example 'panic-flee' gets assigned to offenders and 'less panic-y flee' gets assigned to fugitives.

I find it odd that even fugitives with a lot of bounty on their heads act like rookies.
Good point.
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS

User avatar
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by cim »

It doesn't take much piloting skill to get 30 tonnes of Narcotics out of the door of a Coriolis. A little more to survive long enough to jump, perhaps...

(Making it so that anyone with an accuracy above "incompetent" actually remembers to look where they're going is on my list, though)

gizmo
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: aboard the "Kiss of Time"

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by gizmo »

cim wrote:(Making it so that anyone with an accuracy above "incompetent" actually remembers to look where they're going is on my list, though)
So I don't need to file a feature request ...
Thanks!

User avatar
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Aboard the Pitviper S.E. "Blackwidow"

Re: Problem with performFlee / Pirate Coves

Post by Diziet Sma »

Good points all round.. nice to hear there'll be some competency-related changes coming! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

Post Reply