I'm an Oolite Cheat

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Namttep wrote:I've never had any sucess altering save files, either on elite or in oolite,

if i alter, the commander file disapears from my save directory within the game.

never been able to add money.
Are you using Notepad on Windows? Don't! That would be your problem. A proper editor that supports end of line characters from multiple platforms is best, like Notepad++.

And if you do succeed in cheating we're going to have to send da boyz round. :roll:
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Darkbee wrote:And if you do succeed in cheating we're going to have to send da boyz round. :roll:
Or even worse put a trumble through your letter box :lol:

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Since you are the only person playing the game, it's not really cheating.
I have two games. One where I played without editing anything and one where I completely trick out my ship from the start and change things when I feel like it.

Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Chrisfs wrote:Since you are the only person playing the game, it's not really cheating.
I have two games. One where I played without editing anything and one where I completely trick out my ship from the start and change things when I feel like it.
So you're saying you can never cheat in 1 player games? :lol:

You're right, it really doesn't matter. You're not hurting anybody except yourself™. I try to follow the philosophy of once I've completed a game without cheating, then it's no holds barred. There are always exceptions of course, and at the end of the day my main aim of playing computer games is for enjoyment, so as long as I'm enjoying them (without ruining anyone else enjoyment) then I don't see the harm.
Darkbee

Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

Since its a one player game, yes you can cheat, and the person you're Cheating is yourself.

I've tried and failed, and left it at that but thanks for the info on Notepad++
I may check it out in a moment of personal weakness.

choose wisely in combat, Be Strong. may your lasers never overheat, and your missiles never be ecm'd

Ian

Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Grand Theft Auto 3 (or any in the series) is probably a prime example where cheating can potentially enhance/maximize the enjoyment of the game. However, I have completed the game without cheating so I don't feel too bad now about causing World War 3 in the streets of Liberty City.

On the other end of the scale, I play the open source FPS Assault Cube, which is an online, multiplayer game. Cheaters on that game completely ruin it for everybody and I despise them with a passion. I wish them nothing but ill.

... but I'm a peaceful person really, honest! :?
Darkbee