Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:04 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I use the chrome search a lot. So simple to use, I type 'oolite' followed by a space in the address bar, then my search terms.

Even though it was my idea originally, I thank those who've made searching this BB so much easier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:51 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
I resurrect this thread in order to say: thanks, Diziet Sma, for the information on the Google search plugin.
Thanks, mate.. and thanks to everyone who's contributed along the way..

@ JazHaz.. Indeed it was.. thanks again! 8)

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Edited link in original post.. The Mycroft Project site has changed something in their classification structure which broke the link.

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:07 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

It seems that Google Chrome no longer supports the OpenSearch standard.. so the Mycroft Project plugin no longer works.. <sigh> So much for "Don't be evil".. (oh wait, that's right, the motto -and principle- had to go, because it was interfering too much with maximum financial gain)

Anyhow, having just today discovered this latest evilness, I now present the solution.

Open up Chrome's Settings page, scroll down to the 'Search' section, and click on the button marked 'Manage search engines...'

Scroll down to the bottom of the "Other search engines" section, and you will see 3 sections, labeled "Add a new search engine", "Keyword", and "URL with %s in place of query".

Enter "Oolite BB" for "Add a new search engine"
Enter "oolite" for "Keyword"
Enter "http://www.google.com/search?q=site:aegidian.org%2Fbb %s" for "URL with %s in place of query"

Now hit the "Done" button, and you're done! (you need to enter all three parameters in the one hit.. if you move to another tab or otherwise leave the page, everything you've already entered will be gone, so copy the search string to your clipboard before you start!)

To use, just enter the keyword 'oolite' into the address bar and press space. The title will change to "Search Oolite BB", and you can just type in your search terms and hit the 'enter' key to get your results. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 am 
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Google execs will be among the first against the wall when the revolution comes, along with Suckface and his ilk!