Beginner Questions (Keyboard control and OXPs)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Problem
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 pm
Location: Kassel, Germany

Beginner Questions (Keyboard control and OXPs)

Post by Problem »

Hello everyone,
I've been playing Oolit for a few days now and really like it. I never played Elite (maybe too young), but I played Frontier a lot. Though I liked Frontier, Oolite is way more fun. :D
But now I've got two simple questions:

1. The messages disappear very quickly and I haven't found a way to make the communications log appear. I'm using a german keyboard layout, and ~ (-> Oolite reference sheet) doesn't seem to work. I tried different keys and edited the keyconfig.plist, but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

2. So far I've only used OXPs that improve the graphics, but didn't try anything that changes the gameplay, because I wanted the gameplay to be well-balanced. What would you advise? Are there any essential OXPs that I should have, or would you say that there is enough to dicover in basic Oolite for now?

User avatar
Svengali
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Beginner Questions (Keyboard control and OXPs)

Post by Svengali »

Problem wrote:1. I'm using a german keyboard layout, and ~ (-> Oolite reference sheet) doesn't seem to work.
...
Any ideas?
^ (the key under Escape) should do it for you.
Problem wrote:What would you advise? Are there any essential OXPs that I should have, or would you say that there is enough to dicover in basic Oolite for now?
Oolite has a lot of things to discover and some inbuild missions, but there are several mission oxps for the first galaxy (like UPS-Courier, Long Way Around and Asteroid Storm) that are not a overkill for any novice commanders. Find your rhythm in Oolite and when you feel strong enough throw some oxps in.

BTW: We don't have essential oxps here. Every pack is something special :-)
Have a good time

User avatar
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: UK

Re: Beginner Questions (Keyboard control and OXPs)

Post by Rustybolts »

Problem wrote:Hello everyone,
I've been playing Oolit for a few days now and really like it. I never played Elite (maybe too young), but I played Frontier a lot. Though I liked Frontier, Oolite is way more fun. :D
But now I've got two simple questions:

1. The messages disappear very quickly and I haven't found a way to make the communications log appear. I'm using a german keyboard layout, and ~ (-> Oolite reference sheet) doesn't seem to work. I tried different keys and edited the keyconfig.plist, but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

2. So far I've only used OXPs that improve the graphics, but didn't try anything that changes the gameplay, because I wanted the gameplay to be well-balanced. What would you advise? Are there any essential OXPs that I should have, or would you say that there is enough to dicover in basic Oolite for now?
Random hits was an essential for me. Also Commies, Dictators, Anarchies, Your ad here, System redux and Planet fall will add a lot to your experience
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
Image

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13805
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Post by Cody »

Hi, Problem.

I run three OXP's:
System Redux
Fighter Hud
Target Reticle

Otherwise, I keep it simple.

User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Post by Thargoid »

For the new commander still getting the hang of things, I would recommend (cos I wrote them) Lave Academy and Traffic Control. Also probably Welcome Mat, as potential advanced warnings when you enter systems that might be a bit too hot to handle for you.

All from the links below.

Problem
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 pm
Location: Kassel, Germany

Re: Beginner Questions (Keyboard control and OXPs)

Post by Problem »

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll try some of these OXPs.
Svengali wrote:^ (the key under Escape) should do it for you.
Strangely it doesn't. But I edited the keyconfig.plist and changed it to an unused letter, and now it works.
I experimented a bit with this file to see if I could find out why it doesn't work as it should. It seems that some keys (like ^ and ?) aren't recognised at all, namely keys that differ from the english layout. Numbers, letters and keycodes all seem to work.

User avatar
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

Unfortunately, the issue you encountered is a problem with one of the external code library used in program and as such is beyond the control of the Oolite team. As such, any non us-keyboard user has problems due to the way the library reads the keyboard. A detailed list of the keys currently in use can be found here in the Oolite wiki. It should point you on how to best configure the keys to meet your gaming needs.

I second what Svengali posted, all the OXP's have something to offer. I would recommend that you play the vanilla version for a while (at least to you get a commander to dangerous rank.) Most of the mission oxp's add extra levels of complexity and danger. Until you have built up the experience and developed a feel for the game, many of those oxps can make it more confusing than fun. Visit the oxp on the wiki to get more info on each info on each of them before you install them. And don't forget you can always ask quesiton on the board, 'cause we were all Jamesons once. :D
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net

User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Post by DaddyHoggy »

KZ9999 wrote:Unfortunately, the issue you encountered is a problem with one of the external code library used in program and as such is beyond the control of the Oolite team. As such, any non us-keyboard user has problems due to the way the library reads the keyboard. A detailed list of the keys currently in use can be found here in the Oolite wiki. It should point you on how to best configure the keys to meet your gaming needs.

I second what Svengali posted, all the OXP's have something to offer. I would recommend that you play the vanilla version for a while (at least to you get a commander to dangerous rank.) Most of the mission oxp's add extra levels of complexity and danger. Until you have built up the experience and developed a feel for the game, many of those oxps can make it more confusing than fun. Visit the oxp on the wiki to get more info on each info on each of them before you install them. And don't forget you can always ask quesiton on the board, 'cause we were all Jamesons once. :D
I've been playing for two years and I'm still harmless (by choice - I have decided my gaming alter-ego this time is a complete pacifist!) - but there are quite a few OXPs that just add stuff to look at and trade with without making the game any more difficult.

YAH and Hoopy and any of the station packs for a start - or Simon B's work with those gorgeous new ships. I'd play vanilla for a week and then start loading them up just to see how pretty Oolite can get...
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here

User avatar
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:54 pm
Location: somewhere in the Bavarian outback

Keyboard layout

Post by Greyman »

Hello Problem,

I also have a German keyboard layout on my Macbook. When I first discovered Oolite I spent quite a lot of time figuring out a keyboard layout I can work with. Using the keycodes to adapt the keyconfig.plist was quite a hard one for me. If you are interested I am willing to either post my keyconfig.plist or I'll simply send the whole file to you. I'm quite sure that I do have every key mapped to something that works with the German keyboard layout.

Greetings from the North Sea,

Greyman

Problem
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 pm
Location: Kassel, Germany

Post by Problem »

Hello Greyman,
it would be great if you could post your keyconfig.plist. It might also be a good reference for people who have the same difficulties. I already changed some keys, but I still don't know if everything works as it should, as some keys only work with special equipment installed.

User avatar
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:54 pm
Location: somewhere in the Bavarian outback

keyconfig.plist

Post by Greyman »

Ok, you wanted it. I actually forgot that Oolite meanwhile does accept characters in its keyconfig.plist. A few versions ago you had to insert them strange keycodes for every key. But there are still some troubles with non-US keyboards, like the trouble with Y and Z on German keyboard layouts. Anyway here is my file:

{
"key_roll_left" = 253;
"key_roll_right" = 252;
"key_pitch_forward" = 255;
"key_pitch_back" = 254;
"key_yaw_left" = ",";
"key_yaw_right" = ".";
"key_increase_speed" = "w";
"key_decrease_speed" = "s";
"key_inject_fuel" = "i";
"key_fire_lasers" = "a";
"key_launch_missile" = "m";
"key_next_missile" = 122; --> key 'Z' (German keyboard)
"key_ecm" = "e";
"key_target_missile" = "t";
"key_untarget_missile" = "u";
"key_ident_system" = "r";
"key_scanner_zoom" = "y";
"key_scanner_unzoom" = "Y";
"key_launch_escapepod" = 27; --> Escape key
"key_energy_bomb" = "\t"; --> tabulator
"key_galactic_hyperspace" = "G";
"key_hyperspace" = "h";
"key_jumpdrive" = "j";
"key_dump_cargo" = "K";
"key_rotate_cargo" = "k";
"key_autopilot" = "c";
"key_autopilot_target" = "C";
"key_autodock" = "D";
"key_snapshot" = "*";
"key_docking_music" = "S";
"key_advanced_nav_array" = "#";
"key_map_home" = 302;
"key_map_info" = "i";
"key_pausebutton" = "p";
"key_show_fps" = "F";
"key_mouse_control" = "M";
"key_comms_log" = "q";
"key_next_compass_mode" = "<";
"key_cloaking_device" = "0";
"key_contract_info" = "'";
"key_next_target" = "+";
"key_previous_target" = "-";
"key_custom_view" = "v";
"key_dump_target_state" = "H";
}


If you ever have trouble with any key and need to know the keycode fast, there is a nive little utility called "Key Codes" by Many Tricks (simply look in Google).

By the way: if anybody knows this, since there is a "key_next_compass_mode" is there also a "key_previous_compass_mode"?

Greetings, Greyman

Problem
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 pm
Location: Kassel, Germany

Post by Problem »

Thanks a lot! :D

User avatar
Commander McLane
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 9520
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:08 am
Location: a Hacker Outpost in a moderately remote area
Contact:

Re: keyconfig.plist

Post by Commander McLane »

Greyman wrote:By the way: if anybody knows this, since there is a "key_next_compass_mode" is there also a "key_previous_compass_mode"?
No, cycling through the target compass is one-way only.

Oh, and by the way, on my German keyboard I've put the comms-log key to RETURN. Seemed to be much more logical to me than any letter, and it isn't used otherwise.

User avatar
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:54 pm
Location: somewhere in the Bavarian outback

Post by Greyman »

Thanks for the answer.

I guess I used the Q-key for the comms log as it was the first key I found that didn't have a function. That was quite some time ago when I discovered Oolite and played it on my old Linux machine. Nowadays I'm running Oolite on my Macbook and I'm so used to my keyboard layout I wouldn't even dream about changing it! :D

User avatar
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

I'm sure that Problem isn't the only one who has run into keyboard compatibility issues. Perhaps it might be worthwhile creating a set of alternative keyconfig.plists for each language and for both full keyboards (with separate numeric keypads) and compact keyboards (laptop style.) They could be included with the standard file set and the instructions on how to use them included as part of the ReadMe.txt. In the long term there could be an entry in the game system menu allowing people to chose the keyboard set-up from a list of pre-made sets.

If people are interested in doing this, I'm more that happy to create alternatives of the Reference Sheet Key Guide for each keyboard configuration submitted. I would simply generate another PDF document with a page for each alternative set-up. If people want to roll their own, don't forget the source files used to create it can be downloaded from my Box site. The source file now has both the Open Office original and a RFT conversion for ease of use.
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net

Post Reply