Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:44 am 
Dangerous
Dangerous

How does smuggling work in vanilla Oolite? I know there are OXPs that make it easy (hidden compartments, bribing flight control, stations where illegal goods aren't illegal, etc.) but is it possible in vanilla Oolite?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 am 
Commodore
Commodore

Location: [p]laying [h]ard and [k]icking [b]utt somewhere in G7...
In vanilla Oolite you can purchase narcotics or firearms from any station you like, but if you dock at a mainstation with those goods you'll be penalised. For slaves you can dock with them on board, but if you launch from a mainstation with slaves on board you'll be penalised. If you can find a Rock Hermit you might be able to offload those goods without a penalty. That's as far as it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:34 am 
Dangerous
Dangerous

Quote:
In vanilla Oolite you can purchase narcotics or firearms from any station you like, but if you dock at a mainstation with those goods you'll be penalised. For slaves you can dock with them on board, but if you launch from a mainstation with slaves on board you'll be penalised. If you can find a Rock Hermit you might be able to offload those goods without a penalty. That's as far as it goes.
For some reason, whenever I saw someone mention Rock Hermits, I always thought they were from an OXP. Did a quick Google search after reading this to find out that they are indeed vanilla Oolite. Been playing this game for years (off and on), and it's amazing that I am still learning about it!

Any tips on finding Rock Hermits? I know that there is an OXP to be able to buy a locator, but what about in vanilla Oolite? Is it just a lucky find or is there ways that people in the know-how can find them?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:23 am 
Commodore
Commodore

You quite often find them between the planet and the sun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:27 am 
Dangerous
Dangerous

Quote:
You quite often find them between the planet and the sun.
Ah thanks! I think I will start looking for them. I am definitely interested!

Do Rock Hermits provide prices that are the same as the system market, or are they different? If they are different, is there any way to predict whether they will be higher or lower at the rock hermit?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:49 am 
Commodore
Commodore

Quote:
Do Rock Hermits provide prices that are the same as the system market, or are they different?
They're usually different. Their prices on mined goods are usually very good, their prices on other items are a bit more variable. From the wiki:
Quote:
Often Rock Hermits are home to shady affairs so narcotics can be obtained here at a low price. Food and luxuries are the stuff a hermit cannot produce, so these will go at a premium. Assure you get paid before you offload your fine Ineran Brandy though! Do not let the unglamorous name fool you: rock hermits are not defenceless. Most have a small fleet of ships ready to be launched.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:02 am 
Dangerous
Dangerous

Quote:
Quote:
Do Rock Hermits provide prices that are the same as the system market, or are they different?
They're usually different. Their prices on mined goods are usually very good, their prices on other items are a bit more variable. From the wiki:
Quote:
Often Rock Hermits are home to shady affairs so narcotics can be obtained here at a low price. Food and luxuries are the stuff a hermit cannot produce, so these will go at a premium. Assure you get paid before you offload your fine Ineran Brandy though! Do not let the unglamorous name fool you: rock hermits are not defenceless. Most have a small fleet of ships ready to be launched.
Thank you. Lots to think about for future expeditions. If I can ever seem to find a rock hermit, that is...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:23 am 
Competent
Competent

Quote:
In vanilla Oolite you can purchase narcotics or firearms from any station you like, but if you dock at a mainstation with those goods you'll be penalised.
I thought you can always bring in narcotics etc. without punishment, but if you leave a station with such cargo you will be penalised. That way you can scoop cargo containers containing such illegal goods when underway and sell them once you have docked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:42 am 
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Quote:
Any tips on finding Rock Hermits?
Keep an eye out for rock swarms/distant explosions - if there's mining going on, there's likely a rock hermit nearby.

<nods at Gumbo> Aye, you can dock with contraband aboard - if your legal status is clean.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:12 am 
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Quote:
I thought you can always bring in narcotics etc. without punishment, but if you leave a station with such cargo you will be penalised. That way you can scoop cargo containers containing such illegal goods when underway and sell them once you have docked.
This is how it works. Buying slaves, narcotics and firearms isn't illegal; neither is selling them. The only thing that will increase your criminal record is launching from a main system station with any quantity of those goods on board, regardless of whether you bought them there, or bought them somewhere else, or scooped them as salvage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 am 
Commodore
Commodore

Quote:
I thought you can always bring in narcotics etc. without punishment, but if you leave a station with such cargo you will be penalised.
Well, obviously that's what I meant to say!

:oops:

A case of editing and re-editing a post to improve clarity, only to do the exact opposite. That's a thing, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 am 

<sniggers>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:16 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
A case of editing and re-editing a post to improve clarity, only to do the exact opposite. That's a thing, isn't it?
It is now.. :lol:

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 am 
Dangerous
Dangerous

Quote:
Quote:
It is now.. :lol:
We shall call it the phkb effect...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 am 
Commodore
Commodore

Quote:
We shall call it the phkb effect...
Cool! I have an effect! I must be special. It's a special effect! :D