Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How do you play Oolite?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:20 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite offers many ships and many activities. What do you do in Oolite?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:58 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

One behaviour i fine myself adopting consistently is blowing up, I seem to do rather a lot of that.

Seriously though, when I was testing the hyperdrives oxp I needed to do some courier runs in an Adder and found then to be a lot of fun. Even in a cobra it frees up your cargo space for salvage, mining, or opportunistic tradng. It also leads you to systems that you might otherwise not visit where the default textures can dislay much greater variety than on a 'milk-run'.

Throw in a few oxps that introduce system specific elements (e.g. commies, dictatorships, con stores) and maybe one or two to keep it challenging (e.g. deep space pirates, hyperdrives) and perhaps the odd rarity (e.g. star jellies) then you have a nice dynamic between interaction and time limits.

Without sufficient time to dawdle, the game suggests that it has more variation than you have time to fully explore and also more than you are likely to see when exploiting the more profitable trade routes.

Another way is to take a ship with no hyperdrive, get yourself a wormhole scanner (or not) and see where the winds take you. Certainly helps to keep things interesting as you tend to be in a weaker ship and with less potential to make money. Contarct runs can be especially challenging :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 am 
Dangerous
Dangerous

Usually, I like to take long passenger contracts. And then I will buy computers at the first industrial system or furs at the first agricultural system I come across on the way to the destination. Then I'll sell that at the next opposite economic-type system I come to, and buy the other goods. And I will repeat this until I get to my destination. I never go off course, taking the shortest time route (which provides more jumps for more systems). Any system I come to that is "mainly" agricultural or industrial, or that is the opposite that I am looking to sell at, I won't even dock at the station. If I have enough fuel to make it to next system, I will do it. If I don't, I will skim the sun for fuel before jumping to the next system.

This is the best way that I have found to make money that does not include combat (I am really bad at combat, so I avoid it like a plague).