Would-be Navy recruit

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

User avatar
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by Imaginos »

On the matter of Eye Candy... the Your Ad Here OXZ is fun - especially if you have a paint program such as Photoshop or GIMP that you can use to make your own billboards.

User avatar
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 pm
Location: Oz. The land of some gold but mostly rust

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by Alex »

Welcome to the Ooniverse.

I played the recruit for a while and keep the Galctic Navy oxp mostly for the station now.
Buy the bonds, lots of them.
Makes it worth while for out fitting your ship.
I once mentioned my discount only to find it had been changed in a later version. Glad I still have the earlier one.

My 2 all time favourites are;
Random hits
Assassins Guild
Both are listed in the oxp alphabetical list.

You might want to note that too many eye candy addons can slow the game on some machines.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!

User avatar
ClassicPCGames101
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by ClassicPCGames101 »

Lots of good advice, nice community.

Sadly my downloads aren't working. I'm not sure why - I don't have winzip or java which might be the problem but when I try to download any of the mods internet explorer stops working.

Still, the raw game is good enough for me. As a veteran of Elite on the commodore 64 I am totally happy with this software as it is.
Why are pirates called pirates ... because they AARGH!

User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Disunited Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by Smivs »

ClassicPCGames101 wrote: Sadly my downloads aren't working. I'm not sure why - I don't have winzip or java which might be the problem but when I try to download any of the mods internet explorer stops working.
Are you using the current version of Oolite - v1.80?
This has an in-game expansions manager which automatically downloads and installs OXZs and is not dependant on browsers or anything else. Oolite does not use Java although javascript (which is a very different thing) plays an important part in many OXZs. You don't need to install anything special for this, though.
If you want to install an old-style OXP, this will need to be manually downloaded and un-zipped -there are plenty of good un-zippers available if you don't have one - and the resultant (un-zipped) .oxp folder will then need to be moved to your AddOns folder. Again this process does not involve/require java or browsers (other than to access the download site).
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13805
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by Cody »

ClassicPCGames101 wrote:... when I try to download any of the mods internet explorer stops working.
Try Firefox, IE is horrible - and what Smivs said!

User avatar
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2553
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 am
Location: Finland

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by spara »

Alex wrote:I played the recruit for a while and keep the Galctic Navy oxp mostly for the station now.
Buy the bonds, lots of them.
Makes it worth while for out fitting your ship.
I once mentioned my discount only to find it had been changed in a later version. Glad I still have the earlier one.
How old is that version? Some time ago Nemoricus asked, if anyone's got an old version so that he could check if there was a licence in there.

User avatar
ClassicPCGames101
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by ClassicPCGames101 »

Smivs wrote:
ClassicPCGames101 wrote: Sadly my downloads aren't working. I'm not sure why - I don't have winzip or java which might be the problem but when I try to download any of the mods internet explorer stops working.
Are you using the current version of Oolite - v1.80?
This has an in-game expansions manager which automatically downloads and installs OXZs and is not dependant on browsers or anything else. Oolite does not use Java although javascript (which is a very different thing) plays an important part in many OXZs. You don't need to install anything special for this, though.
If you want to install an old-style OXP, this will need to be manually downloaded and un-zipped -there are plenty of good un-zippers available if you don't have one - and the resultant (un-zipped) .oxp folder will then need to be moved to your AddOns folder. Again this process does not involve/require java or browsers (other than to access the download site).
Yay that works :) thanks
Why are pirates called pirates ... because they AARGH!

User avatar
ClassicPCGames101
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by ClassicPCGames101 »

I've been decorating. Added "additional planets" and "distant suns", really nice combi. Also explorer club and "your ad here" (although I'm not sure where yet). Tried a couple of huds but couldn't beat the default. This is really great. Gagging to buy the rest of the ship upgrades so I can add on the casino :)

One thing that bugs me slightly ... the hyperspace and docking animations are like ... warner brothers cartoon stuff. Is there any cool, [as] quick animations for those?
Why are pirates called pirates ... because they AARGH!

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13805
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by Cody »

ClassicPCGames101 wrote:Is there any cool, [as] quick animations for those?
The [wiki]BGS[/wiki] OXP has very nice hyperspace and docking effects - and other nice screens too.

Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:14 pm

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by Layne »

ClassicPCGames101 wrote:I've been decorating. Added "additional planets" and "distant suns", really nice combi. Also explorer club and "your ad here" (although I'm not sure where yet). Tried a couple of huds but couldn't beat the default. This is really great. Gagging to buy the rest of the ship upgrades so I can add on the casino :)

One thing that bugs me slightly ... the hyperspace and docking animations are like ... warner brothers cartoon stuff. Is there any cool, [as] quick animations for those?

Got BackGround Set yet?
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/BGS

Adds new animations for witchspace jumps, docking, as well as better screen backgrounds and sound effects. Does require Cabal Common Library first:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Cabal_Common_Library

EDIT:
Too slow on the draw, whoops.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.

User avatar
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 pm
Location: Oz. The land of some gold but mostly rust

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by Alex »

spara wrote:
Alex wrote:I played the recruit for a while and keep the Galctic Navy oxp mostly for the station now.
Buy the bonds, lots of them.
Makes it worth while for out fitting your ship.
I once mentioned my discount only to find it had been changed in a later version. Glad I still have the earlier one.
How old is that version? Some time ago Nemoricus asked, if anyone's got an old version so that he could check if there was a licence in there.
The disc I saved it to says May 08 and file says Galactic Navy V4 The game version is 1.65

There is no mention of anything to do with licence in the ReadMe file Just instructions and credits.

I have upgraded the oxp as the newer ones came along but discount stayed the same.
I had bought about 750 bonds during V4. Won't tell the rediculous discount I get from the navy on equipment, weapons, repairs and free fuel. But is worth 4 or 5 jumps to get it.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!

User avatar
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2553
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 am
Location: Finland

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by spara »

Alex wrote:...There is no mention of anything to do with licence in the ReadMe file Just instructions and credits...
A shame. Worth a shot though. I was looking forward for updating the oxp when Nemoricus made a quick visit to the forum, but by the look of things, previous author's approval would be needed.

User avatar
ClassicPCGames101
Above Average
Above Average
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by ClassicPCGames101 »

Layne wrote:
ClassicPCGames101 wrote:I've been decorating. Added "additional planets" and "distant suns", really nice combi. Also explorer club and "your ad here" (although I'm not sure where yet). Tried a couple of huds but couldn't beat the default. This is really great. Gagging to buy the rest of the ship upgrades so I can add on the casino :)

One thing that bugs me slightly ... the hyperspace and docking animations are like ... warner brothers cartoon stuff. Is there any cool, [as] quick animations for those?

Got BackGround Set yet?
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/BGS

Adds new animations for witchspace jumps, docking, as well as better screen backgrounds and sound effects. Does require Cabal Common Library first:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Cabal_Common_Library

EDIT:
Too slow on the draw, whoops.
Oh yea! Sheesh you guys think of everything :D
Why are pirates called pirates ... because they AARGH!

User avatar
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 pm
Location: Oz. The land of some gold but mostly rust

Re: Would-be Navy recruit

Post by Alex »

This game is only limited by Immagination.

Not necessarily yours or mine.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!

Post Reply