Yes, this is just detail … although to be honest I have a hope that your rescale project might end up becoming the standard game!
Thank you... although 30 odd pages ago that kind of talk would've required a hard-hat
Meanwhile, good news! It looks like I have greatly improved the station traffic problem
I spent three hours just loitering outside Erlaza (G1) station.. Erlaza has 4 reasonably decent neighbouring systems.. so, it's not particularly busy, but not especially quiet, either. In that whole time, not counting a small wing of Vipers, there were only 5 ships launched from the station.. one of which was an escort for another ship. The other 3 ships were all in-system Shuttles and Transporters. There were NO arrivals.
I've been playing the Rescale edit for two days now, and implemented the above changes as well... it's the like the stations are completely void of traffic. Maybe a Galcop ship here and there, but nothing else. I waited about 10 minutes at an Anarchy TL 2 station - nothing happened, no ship whatsoever.
Well I've just spent (approx) 10 minutes at Leesti station and withnessed (after a quick code tweak
) the following number of launches:
- 2 Cobra Mk IIIs
- 1 Gecko
- 1 Mamba
- 4 Kraits
- 1 Asp Mk II
- 1 Transporter
- 3 Viper Interceptors
- 2 Adders
- 2 Sidewinders
So at nearly 2 ships a minute, if not exactly frantic it remains a huge improvement over pleidians report; and so massive an improvement over Dizzy's report that even this single test encourages me towards an early conclusion.
It remained the case that there were still no arrivals during that time but it still represents such an improvement that it is highly satisfactory as a 'quick fix'. And yes, I had done some waiting around at stations at various other settings but nothing anywhere near as busy as this particular change induced.
So what was it?
result = OORandomPositionInCylinder(kZeroHPVector,SCANNER_MAX_RANGE,[planet position],[planet radius]*1.1,LANE_WIDTH);
result = OORandomPositionInCylinder([planet position],[planet radius]*1.1,[sun position],[sun radius]*3,LANE_WIDTH);
These were both late changes to version 2 of the experiment but added for an expected problem rather than for a discovered one (I think...) which would explain why all of my testing for version 1 and nearly all of my testing for version 2 would have failed to discover a lack of station traffic.
The original and 'fixed' values (which I shall try
to restore via github soon
result = OORandomPositionInCylinder(kZeroHPVector,SCANNER_MAX_RANGE,[planet position],[planet radius]*3,LANE_WIDTH);
result = OORandomPositionInCylinder([planet position],[planet radius]*3,[sun position],[sun radius]*3,LANE_WIDTH);
Thanks to Dizzy for the find (apologies for the lost 3 hours of your life
) and to pleiadian for the confirmation.