Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 37
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 am 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Quote:
Is there any chance this can be added to the all-new 1.86 release?
Added no, but if someone brings the Rescaling fork up to sync with 1.86 and make a binary out of it, then it should be possible, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
I'd love to keep all the new changes... plus the Rescaling thing - that would be the bomb :shock:
Quote:
if someone brings the Rescaling fork up to sync with 1.86 and make a binary out of it, then it should be possible, I guess.

I think I might know how to solve the one obvious issue that remains with the recaled game: namely, a rarity of inbound, docking ships.
It's probably going to be at the cost of the modified station to planet distance though. A shame but hardly a major loss.

If it works as expected then you can expect an update relatively soon, if not then I'll need to allocate a good deal more time to the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:26 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
I think I might know how to solve the one obvious issue that remains with the recaled game: namely, a rarity of inbound, docking ships.
It's probably going to be at the cost of the modified station to planet distance though. A shame but hardly a major loss.

So you think it may be due to something other than the extra distance inbound traffic has to cover to reach the planet? Interesting...

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:44 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
So you think it may be due to something other than the extra distance inbound traffic has to cover to reach the planet? Interesting...
Maybe...

As I understand it, traffic is generated at random points along the lane. When we had no launching traffic it wasn't due to a lack or excess of traffic being generated but rather it seems to have been the case that the lane wasn't matching the expected distance to find the station.

In other words (for anyone less familiar with this project than Dizzy...) a longer lane needn't be a major problem as the game expects that to be a variable; however, a modified planet to station distance is something it expects to exists as a known constant, a constant that I have since changed...

All well and good in theory of course but it's not much more than a guess at this stage :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
rather it seems to have been the case that the lane wasn't matching the expected distance to find the station.
a longer lane needn't be a major problem as the game expects that to be a variable; however, a modified planet to station distance is something it expects to exists as a known constant, a constant that I have since changed...

Hmm.. shouldn't be too hard to track down the code that makes use of that constant, then.. in theory, at least.. I'm guessing that perhaps those other routines are making use of their own local copy of the "magic number" constant.. because if they used the changed one, they should be able to handle things correctly.

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:21 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I'd agree that the theory is sound but when the number you're looking for is '2' then it does show up rather a lot...
Planet radius references show up rather less of course but there's a lot of unlabelled stuff in the source, speaking from the point of view of a beginner at least.

On altering the constant...
I changed the orbit of the station from 2 times the planet's radius to 1.5 times (x1 would mean the station was on the planet's surface). Given that planet's are 3.3 times bigger than normal, then...
3.3 / 2 = 1.65 greater distance than in the standard game.
Ship speeds are halved however, meaning it takes 3.3 times as long to travel from surface to station.

Having recently travelled to the surface in the standard game, the station looms not only large in the sky but enormously so. Were it to be 3.3 times smaller then that might be a nice compromise between seeming small and yet remaining clearly visible.

Lots to do but I'll get around to it soon I expect.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 37