I have created a new mapping tool: Oolite Interactive Map (now version 0.7.4 see below for release details)
It is a simple to use map that has the following features:
- Basic navigation: zoom and pan.
- Pop up showing the details of each system.
- Select start and end systems and show the shortest or quickest route between them.
- Use the Galaxy Seed dialog to save and retrieve previously saved seeds.
For instructions on how to use click on the help button.
It requires an SVG supporting browser (eg. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, IE9) I haven't tested it on all these so if you have any problems let me know. (Currently known not to work on Safari 6 on OSX (Lion). Safari 5 is fine though.)
This a work in progress and the features I am hoping to include in later versions are:
- Separate overlapping systems when you move your mouse close to them Done
- Changable system icon configuration for showing information such as economy, species, government, etc
- The ability to scan Log, Save Game and special OXP files to display info such as the last N jumps taken by your ship, location of mission waypoints visited and targets, etc.
PS there is a 3D version of this which I will release soon. The aim of this will be to demostrate what a 3D version of the Oolite map would be like. Done
Updated Release: v0.6
Updated Release: Version 0.6.1
- Two text fields added for searching for start and end systems.
- Changing the end system no longer defaults the route back to shortest route.
- Reset View button added.
Updated Release: Version 0.7
- Overlaping systems now separate as you move your mouse close to them. This is to allowing you to click on and also get the pop-up infobox for system hidden underneath the overlapping system. Though this repositions the systems this does not affect routing or any properties.
- As this is the 2D version of the map the z position of each system (which was always 16) is now not shown in the pop-up infobox.
Updated Release: Version 0.7.1
- 3D Mode is now available! All the systems are now give z positions and you can rotate your view in 3D.
- Ctrl-click on any of the systems to auto zoom to that system to give a similar view to the F6 screen in Oolite.
Updated Release: Version 0.7.2
- Ctrl-click auto zoom: zoom out now correctly repositions the selectors.
Updated Release: Version 0.7.3
- Zooming in and out now zooms the link lines connected to overlapping systems.
- Overlapping systems separation distance now scales with zooming in and out too.
Updated Release: Version 0.7.4
- There is a new Galaxy Seed button. Click on this to change or reset the Galaxy seed numbers.
The Galaxy Seed dialog has been modified to allow you to save seeds with names:
April 24 2017 - Edited URL
- Default button has been hidden (only appears if your browser does not support HTML5 LocalStorage) and you can use the "Oolite Default" option in a new drop-down in the Galaxy Seed dialog.
- The rest of the page is disabled when in the Galaxy Seed dialog. (The Galaxy Seed button also still works.)
- You can select saved seeds by name (named seeds) in the new drop-down. I have included a few examples that have been mentioned on the Oolite Bulletin Board.
- The name of the seed (if it has one) is displayed above the top left corner of the map.
- If you select a named seed that is not "Oolite Default" you may delete it or rename it by picking the appropriate option from the drop-down.
- If you change the seed manually to a set of numbers for an new/unsaved seed you get the option to save it from the drop-down. Selecting this pops up a Save Name dialog. (Use the "x" in the corner to close the dialog if it is unwanted.)
- If the current seed is one of the named ones then the drop-down will always have that name selected by default. If the seed is unnamed then the option "Other Galaxy Seed" will be displayed in the drop-down by default instead.
- Using HTML5 LocalStorage means that seeds and their names will be saved in the browser and they will be there when you return as long as you use the same PC and browser and you do not delete cookies for the page's domain.
- I have added a set of example seeds, most of which have been mentioned in BB. These will be added the first time you use this new version. Please delete them if you wish.