Space Station Moves When Approached

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

User avatar
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by mandoman »

This phenomena just started last night, if I'm remembering correctly. It began when I jumped into the Erlaza system from Onrira, and some idiot set off a Quarium bomb somewhere toward the station from the Witch point buoy. After I dodged the Quarium bomb effect, I started in towards the Space Station again, and the dang thing started moving. Not only that, but it started moving towards me. I tried to dodge it, but ended up colliding with it. I have now collided with it three times since then, but there was no Quarium bomb involved. A couple of times I have almost gone too far into the planet atmosphere, and this last time I did go too far into the atmosphere. When I tried to accelerate out of the atmosphere, there was the Space Station coming right at me again. Weird does not cover this. It's spooky, almost like I'm being hunted by the dang thing, LOL. :lol:

Has anyone else had this happen, and how did you get it to resolve? Thanks for any help. :)

Oh, I should add that it isn't JUST happening in the Erlaza system, but at any Space Station I approach.
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1998
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by Switeck »

Sounds like you have a cool/bizarre (OXP?) bug.

My wild guesses:

Cargo Shepard OXP moves around objects (cargo canisters), but I don't know if it could be hacked to work on space stations.

It's remotely possible that a station could move like a ship and try to "dock" with the player...whether the player wanted that or not! I've been "eaten" by the Deep Space Dredger a couple times.

If OXPs are to blame, remove a bunch and reload your savegame to see if it still happens.

User avatar
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by mandoman »

Switeck wrote:Sounds like you have a cool/bizarre (OXP?) bug.

My wild guesses:

Cargo Shepard OXP moves around objects (cargo canisters), but I don't know if it could be hacked to work on space stations.

It's remotely possible that a station could move like a ship and try to "dock" with the player...whether the player wanted that or not! I've been "eaten" by the Deep Space Dredger a couple times.

If OXPs are to blame, remove a bunch and reload your savegame to see if it still happens.
I have removed any oxps I could find that had to do with asteroids, or Space Stations, but the phenomenon remains. I've kind of learned how to deal with it now, so maybe I'll just leave good enough alone, unless you think this is a bug worth reporting? :?:
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1998
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by Switeck »

Try removing *ALL* OXPs and then retesting...

User avatar
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:46 am
Location: UK South Coast.

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Are you using Thargoid's Military injectors? They give a velocity boost to your ship which doesn't register on the speedo, so you can end up moving when you think according to the HUD that you should be stock still.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1

User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by Thargoid »

Cargo shepherd won't affect stations - their mass is too large plus unless it's altered it won't see them anyway as they are the wrong scan class.

And the extra thrust induced by the mil fuel injectors dies away quite quickly once you stop using them, so I doubt they are involved either, even if fitted.

User avatar
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by mandoman »

Capt. Murphy wrote:Are you using Thargoid's Military injectors? They give a velocity boost to your ship which doesn't register on the speedo, so you can end up moving when you think according to the HUD that you should be stock still.
Yes I did, and that was what was causing the problem. Good call, and thanks a lot. :D
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman

User avatar
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Somewhere in the great starry void

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

In my roaming about the Eight I've had quite a few things flung at me, missiles, torpedoes, bombs, small ships, cargo, asteroids... rolling pins (don't ask). But if ever a station is ever hurled at me, that would make my day!
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor

User avatar
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by mandoman »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:In my roaming about the Eight I've had quite a few things flung at me, missiles, torpedoes, bombs, small ships, cargo, asteroids... rolling pins (don't ask). But if ever a station is ever hurled at me, that would make my day!
LOL!! Yeah, it's kind of an "otherworldly" experience. :wink:
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman

User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by Thargoid »

When I got bored I did spend a fun few minutes chucking homing asteroids at the system main station. And then when that got boring I did throw the main station around. It was quite fun, and made a nice splat into the planet... :twisted:

User avatar
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by mandoman »

Thargoid wrote:When I got bored I did spend a fun few minutes chucking homing asteroids at the system main station. And then when that got boring I did throw the main station around. It was quite fun, and made a nice splat into the planet... :twisted:
How the heck did you do that.......no wait, that's more than I want to know. :P
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman

User avatar
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid
Posts: 5510
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by Thargoid »

An AI, a little script and the debug console ;)

User avatar
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by mandoman »

Thargoid wrote:An AI, a little script and the debug console ;)
LOL!!! Maybe someday I'll know how you manipulated those into throwing a Space Station onto the planet, but it won't be soon. Man, I never even thought in those terms. You guys are dangerous. :D
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman

User avatar
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:55 pm
Location: in maZe

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by Zieman »

When I was making the Baakili Far Trader, I once managed to throw the station to a low orbit around the sun.

I gave the Baakili a density value of 50 and made it use docking AI - that thing trying to bore itself inside a Coriolis looked obscene and hilarious at the same time. Then *KABOOM* and off the station went. I followed it with injectors & torus drive, until it finally came to a halt pretty near the sun, turning orange! :D Too bad I didn't know how to take screenshots without FRAPS back then...
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM

User avatar
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Space Station Moves When Approached

Post by mandoman »

Zieman wrote:When I was making the Baakili Far Trader, I once managed to throw the station to a low orbit around the sun.

I gave the Baakili a density value of 50 and made it use docking AI - that thing trying to bore itself inside a Coriolis looked obscene and hilarious at the same time. Then *KABOOM* and off the station went. I followed it with injectors & torus drive, until it finally came to a halt pretty near the sun, turning orange! :D Too bad I didn't know how to take screenshots without FRAPS back then...
That's wild. The planet was bad enough, but the sun??? :D
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman

Post Reply